Based on continuing changes in the spread and impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Ohio Wesleyan is implementing the following policies effective immediately. These policies override all previously announced COVID-19 protocols.
- From March 18 through April 5, all classes will be taught utilizing remote teaching and learning. (This time period will be continuously reassessed during the next three weeks and revised, if needed, with as much notice as possible.)
- Unless you petition for and receive permission to remain on campus, all students must return or remain at home after spring breakuntil in-person classes resume. If you want to petition to remain on campus, you must complete this revised Request Approval for Remote Instruction Housing form by 8 a.m. Monday, March 16, based on the criteria below. (We apologize for the inconvenience, but even if you completed the previous housing registration form, you must complete this new form to petition to remain on campus.) We will provide a response to each petition as quickly as possible.
- To be eligible to remain on campus, students must meet one of the following criteria:
o You are an international student and don’t have another option for housing.
o You currently are without a safe home environment.
o You currently are without a permanent home.
o You have exceptional circumstances.
- All student-athletes shouldreturn or remain at home after spring break until in-person classes resume – unless you petition to remain on campus for one of the four reasons above and your petition is approved. As of March 15, all spring sports are suspended at least until on-campus classes resume.
- Students will have until 5 p.m. Monday, March 16, to leave their residence hall room.We will allow access to residence hall rooms until noon on Wednesday, March 18, in order to retrieve items, but no unapproved students may stay overnight on campus after 5 p.m. on Monday, March 16. All requests for approval to remain after this time will be processed as quickly as possible. If you will not be able to move before the deadline, please contact the Residential Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 368-3175.
In addition, our New York Arts Program is suspending all classes effective March 20, and we will be closing our Early Childhood Center at day’s end March 13.
For OWU staff, the University plans to allow you to work at home as much as possible through April 5, which coincides with Governor Mike DeWine’s announcement today that K-12 secondary schools will be on extended spring break through April 3. Please consult with your supervisor to ensure that essential duties are covered on campus and while working remotely.
Staff members who have a home computer or laptop should ensure it is configured to access your OWU files remotely. Please complete this process before March 16. To assist you, please view these Resources for Working Remotely/Off Campus and contact the Information Services Help Desk as needed.
Again, I would like to thank everyone for your patience, assistance, flexibility, and care for one another throughout this unique situation. Our primary concern is the health and well-being of all people related to OWU and, by extension, of the larger communities in which we each make our homes. Your patience, understanding, support and efforts to find creative solutions in this challenging time are greatly appreciated.
We will continue to provide updates as new information becomes available. We also encourage you to visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information and resources.